Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My first post

Now the proud owner of two blogs, I thought I would just get this first post out of the way.

This is actually an assignment for my "Internet for the Educator" class, but I'm glad that I have experience, and a sincere passion quite honestly, for blogging.  I hope to become much better and more dedicated as I ease into it and also as I learn more and more about the Internet and Web Design in this class.

The first class got me really excited to learn about the Internet and everything it has to offer on the other side- no longer just a simple user and consumer of the web's services, but a creator and author.  The Internet makes is so easy for anyone and everyone to own their words and get their opinions out there.  It has many consequences, but especially as a potential educator, I hope to learn technological responsibility and literacy.

In today's class, we watched a video about a young teacher who was ultimately forced to resign because she published on Facebook some, in my opinion, innocent photos of her drinking alcohol on a European vacation.  Understandably, we all must be ultra-sensitive to what we publish on the Internet, I do believe there is an over-sensitivity to the photos that people post on one end and a lack of responsibility on the other end of the spectrum of Facebook and social network users. As a writer, I hope that my words are never censored, but also always used responsibly and with thought.  While some photos I have seen are extremely inappropriate and unflattering, I believe this one particular teacher was the victim of some bored or angry person who chose to remain anonymous for a reason.  I also cannot help but ask if this same situation would have occurred if she were male?  Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment